Looking at the definition above, you wouldn't think collating has anything to do with copiers, but it most certainly does.
Don't Most Copiers Collate High-Volume Projects Automatically?
Yes, for many of us, the days of sticky finger thimbles, mental calculations, cross-hatching, and stapling are long gone. Why collate a mass-mailing by hand when most commercial copiers on the market can do it for you? Well, as they say, it all works brilliantly until the day it doesn't. Ask yourself this question: would you know what to do to fix some of the most common copier problems, especially when they could affect your latest marketing campaign.
What Basic Troubleshooting Steps Usually Fix Problems With Copying And Collating?
The two biggest problem areas are:
Misfed or Skewed Copies
The first question to ask yourself is whether or not the paper loaded in the paper drawer correctly. Follow the steps below for this simple fix:
1. Remove the paper and check the pages at the bottom of the stack for pages that are curled up or folded under. Discard any bent or curled sheets. Fan the paper out and put it back into the drawer.
2. Check to make sure the notches that secure the paper are tight.
3. If a misfeed or skewing continues, switch paper to a different drawer. Should the transfer solve the problem, don't use the damaged drawer and call for service. While you wait for a technician, you can still make copies using alternate drawers in the machine.
4. If a misfeed or skewing still continues after troubleshooting, call for service.
Lined or Dirty Copies
This issue could be as easy as a quick cleanup. Again, follow the steps below:
1. Clean both pieces of copier glass with a standard window cleaner. Spray cleaner on a microfiber cloth, not directly on the glass. This avoids the possibility of getting glass cleaner in the machine.
2. This time make a copy off the glass. If you can still see the line, call for service.
3. If the line is not there, make a copy using the document feeder. If the line shows up, place your copy with the line on it next to the scan glass for comparison. This will help you find the mark. Use your thumb nail to remove it. Try making more copies using the document feeder. If the line shows up, call for service.
UCI Copy Services in Amarillo, Texas, can fix what troubleshooting does not. Contact UCI now.