- The printer did not automatically install when you connected to the computer and switched it on for the first time.
- You're having issues getting your printer installed.
- You keep getting a printing error message when you try to print a document.
- You no longer have the driver CD or DVD that came with your printer.
For each of these situations, you need to install or update the printer driver for your particular printer make and model so that it is compatible with the current version of Windows on your computer.
Most drivers are saved to your computer via the hardware installation process and are ready to install, are available via a Windows update, or simply come with Windows. On some occasions, you'll need to use an online download or a CD or DVD that you can get from the printer manufacturer to install the driver. To install any type of driver, locate the Printers folder on your computer and follow the steps that are given when you open it. If you don't have a CD or DVD and cannot find a driver on your computer, look up the printer manufacturer's website. You may be able to download and install it from there.
To install or update the printer driver with the Printers folder, complete the following steps:
- Start button ? Control Panel ? Hardware and Sound ? Printer
- Right-click on the printer that needs a new driver. Click Run as administrator, then Properties. If there is a prompt for an administrator confirmation or password, enter that information.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click New Driver. Follow the steps in the Add Printer Driver Wizard.
Before you can download a compatible driver from a printer manufacturer, you must know which version of Windows you are running on your computer as well as the make and model of your printer.
If you aren't sure which version of Windows you have, complete the following steps:
- Start button ? All Programs ? Accessories ? System Tools ? System Information
- Click System Summary. Look for the OS name and system type for the Windows details.
Now that you have the version of Windows and the make and model of your printer, go to the printer manufacturer's website. Look for a compatible driver. The website will have instructions for downloading and installing the driver.
If you have more questions about your office copier, give Amarillo copier company UCI a call. Its friendly support staff can help you troubleshoot any issues your copy machine may be having.